TERMS OF BUSINESS
1. Lesson Appointment card
- The appointment card will be issued either before, or on the first lesson, Clients are advised to carry the card so that at the end of the lesson their next appointment(s) can be entered.
2. Driving licence
- a) Clients MUST personally ensure that they are the holders of a valid, signed current driving licence, which must be produced at the first lesson and will be regularly checked by their Driving Instructor. If the licence is the photo card and paper counterpart type, both parts must be produced at the first lesson and at the Theory & Practical tests.
- b) Clients MUST inform their Driving Instructor if they receive any endorsements on their licence during the time they are receiving tuition.
- c) Clients must inform their Driving Instructor of any disabilities and/or conditions they have which may affect their ability to drive.
3. Client wellbeing
- a) In the interest of comfort and safety, Clients are advised to wear suitable footwear and comfortable clothing which does not restrict any movement, please ask your Instructor for any advice you may require.
- b) Also in the interest of Safety it may become necessary during driving that the Instructor may have to assist in steering the car. In order that you know it is the instructor turning the steering wheel and not an outside force he may well touch your hand. This is necessary to ensure your's and the Publics Safety. If you have any concerns please discuss with your instructor.
4. Tuition fees
- a) Tuition fees are as stated in the fees section of these terms of business and may be payable in advance. All accounts must be cleared before taking the official practical driving test.
5. Postponement of a lesson by a driving school
- a) If by reason of a vehicle failure or other eventuallity a lesson has been postponed at short notice, an alternative appointment shall be made with mutual consent. Should such postponement be a driving test, the school shall be responsible to the pupil for the fee of the next test if it cannot be cancelled within the required time (see paragraph 7), regardless of the Client's continuation of lessons with the school. Clients will appreciate that it may not always be possible to notify cancellation if a breakdown occurs on the way to a lesson.
- b) Driving tests take priority over lessons therefore, a lesson already booked may sometimes have to be cancelled or postponed if the school receives short notice of a driving test from another client.
6. Postponement or cancellation of lesson or part of a lesson by Clients
- a) At least 48 hours notice of postponement or cancellation of a lesson or part of a lesson is required. Please note that Sundays and public holidays are not counted as working days. Late cancellations will be charged for at the following rates if the cancelled slot cannot be filled.
- 1 Hour £25.00 1.5 Hour £40.00 2 Hour £50.00
- b) Such notice to the school (in writing or by telephone) shall be deemed to have been served on the day that the communication is received at the school's premises, where it will be timed and recorded.
7. Postponement or cancellation of a test
- a) The attention of Clients is drawn to the fact that a statutory period of notice of three (3) clear working days is required under government regulations for the cancellation or postponement of a test.
- b) If possible the pupil will be advised in good time of the advisability of cancelling their test. The Instructor cannot be responsible for the loss of the test fee if the pupil fails to immediately notify the test booking office. The address and telephone number is given on the test appointment document.
- c) The Instructor cannot be held responsible for any postponement or cancellation of a test by the testing authority - at whatever notice.
- d) Clients should note that where lessons or tuition vehicle hire are cancelled at short notice, because of a cancellation by the testing authority, fees are still payable. It is normally possible for Clients to claim lost fees from the testing authority.
8. Instructor guarantee
- a) The Instructor guarantees that only legally authorised Instructors will give tuition.
- b) Instructor’s official authorising documents will be displayed on the windscreen of the car and may be inspected freely at any time.
- c) Clients may be accompanied on their lesson by a supervising examiner, whose job is to ensure that the tuition given meets the required standard. This is a legal requirement and is in the public interest.
9. The driving test
- a) Your Instructor will advise the appropriate time to make an application for both the theory and practical driving tests. The advice will be based on the Clients progress to date. It does NOT imply that the necessary standard has been reached or that it will for certain be reached by the appointed test date. The Instructor will not hesitate to advise, where necessary, the postponement of the test. This condition is intended to save the pupil expense, unnecessary failure and the consequent delay in waiting for another test and obtaining a full licence.
- b) The Instructor reserves the right to withhold the use of the school car for the test or a lesson, If in the opinion of the Instructor the Client is:
Not at driving test pass standard
Medically unfit (including eyesight)
Under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Is not properly licenced to drive
Consistently fails to keep, or is late for appointments
Falls into arrears over payment
If for any other reason, the Instructor considers the Client will be unsafe to handle a motor vehicle
- c) Clients may be accompanied on their test by a supervising examiner, whose job is to ensure that official standards of testing are observed by examiners. This is a legal requirement and is in the public interest.
- d) You are reminded that when you attend for your theory or practical test, you MUST take the required documents. Failure to comply with this regulation will mean the examiner will have to cancel your test; you will forfeit your test fee and have to apply for a new test date.
- e) In the event of the test appointment being sent to the Client they are required to notify the Instructor as soon as possible, of the date and time of the test and show the document to their Instructor on their next lesson. The Instructor cannot accept any responsibility for booking an incorrect time or date of a test unless the appointment document is produced. If the appointment is sent to the Instructor, then an undertaking is given to show the Client the document on their next lesson or notify them as soon as possible. The document will be handed to the Client on request.
10. Lessons in own car
- a) Lessons may be given in a Client’s own car if the Instructor is willing to do so, on condition that it is clearly understood:
- b) The car is Comprehensively Insured for teaching for reward and this must be confirmed in writing by the vehicle underwriters.
- c) The Instructor is covered by such insurance to drive the car - to be confirmed of as above.
- d) The Instructor can in no way be held liable for any damage or accident. While the Instructor will make every effort to prevent the Client having an accident, or damaging the car, it will be realised that their control is very limited. If Clients wish to have lessons in their own car then a second rear view mirror must be provided for the Instructor. In view of the extra responsibility entailed, there will normally be no reduction in lesson charges.
- a) School cars are Comprehensively Insured for tuition and driving tests
- b) No liability of any kind can be accepted by the Instructor for the loss of, or damage to any property belonging to, or in the possession of the Client.
12. Legal liability
- a) Clients should be aware that their Instructor’s primary objective is to promote road safety and in doing so he/she will have to issue instructions which Clients must be prepared to carry out without undue argument.
- b) The Instructor will make every effort to train you to the highest standard but can in no way be held liable for any errors you commit whilst driving and unaccompanied by your Instructor either before or after a test pass.
- c) During an official driving test the Client is in charge of the vehicle and is liable for any fines or charges levied as a result of any motoring offence committed
- a) If you are unhappy with any aspect of your tuition you should notify the Instructor without delay and not later than seven days from the date on which the cause of the complaint arose. Every effort will be made by the Instructor to satisfactorily deal with the complaint, these ''Terms of Business" and the "Code of Practice for Approved Driving Instructors" forming the basis for negotiations.
- b) Should any dispute be unresolved mutually, then the Client has the right to refer the matter to the Driving Instructors Association, Leon House, 233 High Street, CROYDON. CR0 9XT.
Signed for Wessex One to One School of Motoring.
Peter Aisthorpe-Buckley DVSA ADI
1st January 2018
- Cheques should be made payable to P G Aisthorpe-Buckley
- All fees are subject to adjustment from time to time at two weeks' notice.
- Lessons normally start from the Client's home or a place agreed by mutual arrangement.
- In their own interest Clients are advised to be punctual for their appointments. The Instructor will wait 15 minutes. A reciprocal waiting time may become necessary for the arrival of the Instructor who may be delayed due to some unforeseen circumstance. The lesson will commence from the appointed time or the time of the Instructor’s arrival if that should be later.
© Wessex One to One School of Motoring 2003 - 2018
Copyright Wessex One to One School of Motoring 2003-2018 All Rights Reserved.
Designed & Published by Peter Aisthorpe-Buckley DVSA ADI with Freeway 7 Pro.
One to One
School of Motoring